27 January 2009

Gerry Merito dead at 70



Gerry Merito the comedian of the Howard Morrison Quartet died in the Waikato last night. He was still performing till the end. It seems so appropriate, the Waikato, as one of his biggest hits with the Quartet was The Battle of the Waikato along with My Old Mans an All Black.  I saw the Quartet many times when I was a teen living in Auckland. Whe I first heard them on record I wasn't that impressed but when I saw them live for the first time they were magic. I am trying to remember when it was; probably around 1956 and at Carlaw Park in something called "Showcase of Stars"

Have a look at my music blog www.soundsold.blogspot.com where I will put up one of his songs soon. 

Just read a story about Gerry.  He was invited to sing at a Rugby club where Dannie Craven (the God of Seth Effrican Rugby) was to speak. But Dannie didn't show, so poor old Gerry had to sing all night.  At the end they told him half the guys wouldn't pay because Dannie hadn't fronted but a couple of the guys had just returned from hunting with two pigs and they would give him those instead.

This suited Gerry down to the ground but he had a problem with his Agent who was Benny Levin.

Benny was a Jew but it didn't phase Gerry. He rang him up and told him the story and said 'No problems Benny, for your cut you can have one of the pigs'.  

All Gerry heard was swearing as the phone was slammed down.  Scored two pigs. Sweet!!