08 January 2008

Sledging and more words

I was going to put in a couple of quotes I saw but events in Australia have overtaken me. And I don't mean the floods but the Indian tour. The result with Oz winning in the last couple of overs was incredible, but the following furore is taking the headlines.

I find it strange that a man can be found guilty of a statement that is basically (from what we read), a "he says - she says" situation. I see some Kiwi cricketers have said the Australian complaints seem to be a "calling the kettle black" situation as the inventors and proponents of sledging were Australia.

Wikipedia says - According to Ian Chappell "sledging" originated from Adelaide in an early 1960's Sheffield Shield season. A cricketer who swore in the presence of a woman was taken to be like a sledgehammer, and so called a "Percy" or "Sledge"—from singer Percy Sledge (whose song When a Man Loves a Woman was popular at the time). Thus, directing insults or obscenities at the opposition team became known as "sledging".

The outcome will be interesting.

Moving on - Quotes -

Some forms of success are indistinguishable from panic - Edgar Degas

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical. - Arthur C. Clarke

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

I have always liked the final quote as it sums up my attitude towards science and the world. Once we thought nature was magic then science explained why things happened; people got sick = germs etc. This annoyed many of the establishment, which in those days was the religious leaders. This attitude that science and its ideas are anti-religious still pervades many groups today. I find it almost unbelievable that in the US Presidential race, when asked if they believed in the Theory of Evolution, some didn't. I don't think they, like President Bush who was quoted as saying "its only a theory", don't really understand what the scientific meaning and context of the word theory is. Maybe they should be asked if they believe in Atomic Theory and if they think "it is only a theory", ask them to stand under an exploding nuclear bomb.