11 January 2008

Edmund Percival HILLARY, KG, ONZ, KBE (20 July 1919 - 11 January 2008)







When they use the word "icon" today they attribute it to some of very little stature on the World scence. Ed Hillary was a true icon. Easily the greatest New Zealander of my time. The important thing is what he did after Everest when he went on to demonstrate what a truly great humanitarian he was. Ed was a decent, common sense, humble Kiwi of the finest quality.


My memories of that year 1953 go back as a 12 year old in Auckland. It was a truly auspicious year. It was the year my mother won the N Z Bowls Pairs Championships, it was the Coronation and Hillary and Tenzing conquered Everest.

My parents owned a dairy in Symonds Street (No. 99 - now a Hotel complex) and everybody wanted to buy what till then was an unknown brand - Hillary's Honey. I can remember my first taste - it was great honey. And like Sir Ed I went to Auckland Grammar.

His statement upon returning to Camp to his lifelong friend George Lowe (and other Kiwi in the expedition) was typical Kiwi "Well George, we finally knocked the bastard off."

I see that his death has knocked the US Election campaign off the top of the Google News.












The flag at Scott Base has already been lowered to half mast.