06 January 2008

In the news





Toxic Algae from the Hutt River





We often take our dog, as does my daughter with her three dogs, to the Hutt River dog walk. However, following the death of two dogs due to a naturally occurring toxic algae dog-owners are being urged to stop their pets straying to what has become a deadly river. Two Basset hounds have already been killed by the toxic algae that have invaded the Hutt River.

As it happens, when I read the article about a the dog owner who lost two of his dogs, I realised I knew him through work and SeniorNet. We will be being careful in future and not letting Rhett into the river and instead will probably take him to Petone Beach more often.


In the Dom-Post the headline story on Saturday was about a 35 year woman who was brought back from the dead thanks to her quick-thinking seven-year-old son who phoned 111 when her heart stopped. I didn't realise that she was a friend of my daughters until she came around and pointed it out. Then again I haven't seen her for several years.