02 January 2008

The Beatles

I'm back again - or should that be "I'm bach". I said in a previous entry that I was reading Bill Bryson's book The Mother Tongue and it is an oddity of NZ that we pronounce the composer Bach as back but the Kwi beach house is (in the North Island) a bach - pronounced batch.



THE BEATLES

I found this on the Net. It has dozens of Beatles songs within it and your mission is to find the ones I've missed.

Please Mr Postman, see that this letter arrives safely.

Dear Prudence,

A long, long, long time ago, I asked you to tell me what you see and with eyes shut, you said, 'Do you want to know a secret?', She loves you, but you're going to lose that girl'.Well, I've just seen a face. It was yesterday, or was it the night before, when I saw her standing there.

I saw Lucy in the sky with diamonds, (sister of Michelle and now married to Roccy Raccoon), and it all came back to me.Lucy left me because she caught Polythene Pam as she came in through the bathroom window. I tried to act naturally, joked that everybody's trying to be my baby and played some rock and roll music.

But she kept on walking and in exasperation I shouted, 'Oh darling, wait, don't let me down, I need you'. 'I'll never meet another girl like you, you really got a hold on me', and other words of love to that effect. Lucy said, 'I don't want to spoil the party, I'm out of here, helter skelter, good night'.I said, 'honey don't, what you're doing is killing me, you can't do that, help, we can work it out, you like me too much, I want you!'.

She shouted back at me, 'You're boring, that's the word, boring!'. 'All you do is listen to Beatles music!'. 'Go have a drink with the boys, and other little piggies like yourself, me, I'll follow the sun'.I became angry. 'Girl, you can drive my car or take a ticket to ride on a magical mystery tour down the long & winding road to Kansas City, Vladivostock, Elwood, Pepperland or the sea of monsters for all I care'.

She made no reply. Only then did I realise that she's leaving home. I sent her all my loving, eight days a week in letters to here, there & everywhere.I would have travelled in a yellow submarine, I would have attempted to track her down all across the Universe.In my life, where did I go wrong?

Can you explain to me every little thing, any time at all? I'd like to laugh at the memory, but I'll cry instead. I tried to console myself, I thought, it's only love, but what if I needed someone again, if I fell in love with someone else? I sometimes wished I lived back in the USSR, before the revolution. It may all make sense to me when I'm sixty four. I should have known better. I'm a loser really, a nowhere man, a fool on the hill.Each morning I would wake up to depressive thoughts, like, I'm down, I'm so tired, run for your life what goes on, your Mother should know.

But then one morning, on my birthday, after a hard day's night praying to Lady Madonna, I saw a familiar face passing my bedroom window. 'Hey Jude, here comes the sun', I exclaimed. 'Good morning, good morning', came the reply.

So with a little help from my friends, lovely Rita, Julia, Shondra & dizzy miss Lizzy, I recalled what a wise man once told me, 'You've got to hide your love away', so I told myself, 'I'll be back, I will'!!And now, things are getting better. No more misery, now I feel fine flying, free as a bird. Now, I'm a paperback writer, no longer a day tripper on the roller coaster of life.

The royalties from book sales can't buy me love, but are fixing a hole in my Bank account. Now I can carry that weight of memories passed, I can simply let it be, and get back to being the person I once was. I have even returned to my daily jogs down Penny Lane and this boy could run through strawberry fields forever.

As they say in that classic Beatles song, 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-la-da, life goes on!'. Do you remember the Beatles?, Paul McCartney made a lot of money, a taxman's dream, but if I met him today, he would probably say of me, 'Baby, you're a rich man too', or something like that.

Yours Sincerely Mr Moonlight The End