14 March 2008

Friday night

The weekend almost upon us. Went to our monthly Probus meeting this morning where our speaker was Alf Kirk who is Kiwi working for the World Bank as an Economist in some of the old Soviet states such as Georgia, Armenia etc. Pleased that I was instrumental in getting him to speak after he spoke at Rotary and I also knew him from 30 years ago when I worked with his ex-wife.

As he said in talking about his work -
'we don't know how lucky we are'

A safe, stable, non corrupt, decent and tolerant democracy.

Democracy has been in a bit of turmoil - well by our standards - this week with John Key showing some of his inexperience. Saying he would axe the scientific fund just established by the Government, will get him offside with many of his farmer constituents. His real problem was that he seems to have made the decision off the cuff and didn't announce an alternative. Also he got caught out by the Govt. over sale of Auckland Airport when he tried to have a bob each way.

Had a phone call from Telecom during the week asking what I thought of our Broadband experience. Of course I told them, in my usual way, what a pathetic outfit they are and as for the Bubble experience !!! She of course couldn't say much except she would pass my views on. Being in an area where they have a monopoly there is nothing much we can do.