03 February 2009

The day the music died 50 years ago <> 3 Feb 1959


THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT OF THE SHOW THAT WAS NOT TO BE 

MEMORIAL AT THE CRASH SITE

I have written previously about the deaths of Buddy, Ritchie and the Big Bopper but it is now the 50th anniversary of that tragic day - 3 February 1959. The crash happened a few minutes after midnight on the 3rd. Also killed in that air crash was the pilot Roger Peterson who seems to have been forgotten.

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.

These words are from Don McLean's 1971 song, "American Pie."

They refer to the events of the night of 2-3 February 1959, when a plane crashed in a field near Clear Lake, Iowa, where earlier that evening there had been a performance featuring 22-year-old Buddy Holly, 28-year-old J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and 17-year-old Ritchie Valens.

Many people are not aware that the
two of the women of the songs 'Peggy Sue' and 'Donna' are real and that they are still alive today. You Tube has a video interview of them when they were brought together and taken to the UK in remembrance of the 50th Anniversary.

I have put a song from each up on my music blog -
Soundsold - in memory.

For me, their music has never died.