13 February 2009

Black Friday

Just realised as I opened up my Blog that it is Friday the 13th.

I decided to put in a piece about one of my many 'hobbyhorses' - copyright. The latest nut case again doesn't involve a nut case but a corporate. It seems Tick Tacks the small lolly thought that people might get their product mixed up with Tick Tock a British tea maker. And the nutty part is that the Assistant Commissioner of Trademarks agreed. The good news is that when they appealed a Judge thought it 'patently absurd' that anybody could mix a lolly with a packet of tea.

Another item I see is the reading of children's books in libraries. The publishers say it is a public performance and subject to copyright payment. I know if they had their way libraries would be banned. I don't think this would apply in Enzed as I think they have some dispensation from the copyright law.

And in their usual 'King Canute' thought patterns a new online music service has sparked the ire of record labels keen to maintain control over their intellectual property.

A paid subscription music streaming service wants to let consumers listen to music over the Net. The Guardian newspaper commentator says 'it is so good you wonder how you lived without it'.

The industry of course is not impressed and objects. What century is their business model in.

Maybe they should try to run an American car company.