29 December 2007

Umbrellas, words and dogs


A couple of days ago we noticed our outside umbrella was missing. It was a large green one with a metal stand that slotted into the outside table. Although it has been windy I couldn't believe it could have blown away. However, Christine thought that was the solution so we had a look over the fence but couldn't see anything. I thought it had been stolen.
She decided to email the neighbourhood through the Neighbourhood Support listing and got a reply from three houses away. I couldn't believe that such a large umbrella with a heavy metal stand could have been uplifted like that and taken such a distance.

She has now been right twice in a week!!! Good grief - what is the world coming to!!!

Am reading Bill Bryson's book "Mother Tongue" about the English language. Words have always interested me - maybe that is why I talk so much. A couple of words that I like that have, unfortunately, fallen into disuse are - slubberdegullion: 17th Century, meaning a slovenly fellow - ugsome: medieval, meaning loathsome. I will try to use them in conversation (if I can remember them) in the next week or two.

We got our dog Rhett 12 months ago this week. Like Kipp, is it amazing how much he has changed in that time - not so much in size as he is only a little bigger - but in looks, having lost his puppy look.













Rhett a year ago and a few weeks ago with Kipp in the hall