23 December 2007

A rocking and rolling Xmas continues

Still a few shakes being felt in Gisborne but thankfully not by us although as they say - a few small ones often is good. Amazingly, I read that this one was five times stronger than the 1987 Edgecumbe quake. Luckily the epicentre was at sea and deeper.


Xmas is almost upon us and the weather is perfect if no rain is what you want. The Charity Raffle I am involved with is going great guns with our sales passing last years on Friday night with 2 1/2 days to go. I would have thought that with the economy slowing and interest rates going up, money would have been tighter this year. Or is it because it is tighter that people gamble more??

I see Tony Blair has converted to catholicism but an interesting side fact I heard was that no British Prime Minister has ever been a Catholic. That seems incredible as we have had our share of the various Christian sects as well as no faiths as evidenced by our current PM. I think we are lucky in that religion plays little or no part in our political set up, unlike the USA where they seem to have more than their fair share of almost religious nuts trying to be President.