10 September 2009

UK

UK: Sarah, Joe and the boys took off on Monday night for 3 weeks in the UK when they will attend Joe's brothers wedding. They phoned that they had arrived OK after the 30 hour flight - tired !!

Meantime we are house sitting at their place to look after (keep in order and feed) their two overseas students. However. we return each day to collect mail, work on stuff etc.

TV: Often we will watch morning TV - always TV1 which is opposite from the evening news when we watch TV3. The main reason in the morning is the host Paul Henry - he is outspoken and doesn't fudge matters which I like. He reminds me of the film about the outspoken US radio talkback host Howard Stern. Polling showed he was hated, but even those who hated him tuned in. A bit like me with the UK rugby writer Stephen Jones. I think he writes rubbish but I have to read him!!

Quiz: Without Joe we came 3rd equal (even though she had another couple of answers wrong). Saw a friend who is thinking of organising a charity quiz and wondered if I was interested in organising it. Told him I would think about it as I would rather take part.

Exchange Rate: Must be a real worry as it is hitting 70c to the US. Good from the point of view of travellers and importers but not for investors or exporters. The Reserve bank has held the cash rate this morning which will probably mean a rise against the US Dollar which I think is still 10% overvalued.