12 August 2009

Sir Cliff


The touring cast from the 1961 Cliff Richard and The Shadows Tour

(Rear L-R) Doug and Leo deKroo, Andy Ellis, Brian Henderson, Lou Miller, Bruce, Brian, Judy Cannon, Frankie Davidson
(Centre L-R) Herma Keil, Cliff, Jet

(Front L-R) Klaus Keil, Bill Fairs, Hank, Olaf Keil

Cliff Richard & The Shadows: They are to tour N Z in what is being billed as a final farewell tour. The adverts are saying that this will be the first time they have toured here since 1961. Semi correct - Cliff has been here since (several times), just not with the Shadows.

Old age - I was at the Auckland Town Hall with my brother in 1961 when they performed and we thought they were fantastic - I still remember the Shadows choreographed antics (dancing). From memory they were a great couple of years with people like Donny Brooks, Dell Shannon, The Everley's, Bobby Day and various other stars all coming down under.

Stars of TV: Back on the 14 July I mentioned that TV1 were looking for a person to be interviewed about SeniorNet. I found somebody (thanks Jeanette) and the interview duly took place. They then wanted a dummy class to be set up to film at the Centre. So I got a small team together, which included Christine and myself, and the cameraman duly turned up. He seemed to concentrate on what Christine was doing but it didn't quite turn out that way. They told us the item would be put on the next Monday night but it was then delayed as they had to celebrate something they thought more important - the 40th birthday of man on the moon. Neil and the team more important than SeniorNet Hutt City!!!

Anyway it was on the next week and I taped as we were both out at our Monday meetings.

The whole thing shown at prime time in the middle of the TV1 News was a Special Report on older people and computers. Jeanette was brilliant. Surprisingly I featured much more than I thought as I didn't really notice him filming me.

All in all a great promotion for SeniorNet. I'm waiting for Peter Jackson to call.

We have also had a bit of luck with Kiwibank donating some old printers to SeniorNet.

Telethon: This was on last weekend. Didn't watch except to flip over 3/4 times when it just seemed to be singers. Reports say it was very commercial and that 70% of the money is going to overheads. I was put off in the TV3 promo which interviewed one of the family's they were going to help.

I know they are struggling - but - they had six kids. Why if they can't afford them do they breed - a North & South 2002 article said it cost around $250, 000 until age18 in N Z. I know they say its not the money, but to give your child the real start they need, especially education, is not cheap. Quality not quantity is the story and if they want to make different choices why should others have to pay.

The family interviewed then went and mentioned how the kids were buying their school lunch each day. Not the most brilliant PR for Telethon.

Flue: Although I had the jab I have had the flue. Very tired and after a couple of days when I thought it had gone, I've got a cough. Probably would have been worse without the jab.

Politicians: And perks. They are grizzling and going on about contracts and their up to 90% international airline discounts at our expense. Graham Kelly (ex Union leader) is leading the charge. Yeah - well when you are both the employer and employee it is easy to get good conditions. They just pass the relevant laws to suit themselves.

An article about their claims pointed out how the IRD said some of their claims were taxable income like everybody else. What did they do? They changed the law so that it applies to everybody except MP's. And they wonder why the public think thay are rorting the 'system".