24 July 2009

The moons a birthday




Apollo and Armstrong: This week, the 20th of July, was the 40th Anniversary of when "A man named Armstrong, walked upon the moon" (the name of the John Stewart hit song). Also the week of my birthday so I remember it well as, hoping at the time, they might stuff it up and land on the 24th - but they didn't. So I celebrated 4 days later.

I am an admirer of Armstrong as unlike most American celebrities he is not a limelight seeker - they call him reclusive - I call him humble as all the heroes of my era appeared to be. I would guess he is more Scottish than modern American. He basically withdrew from public life and went into the academic world to return to his real love - engineering.

A real hero.

I see the second human on the moon, Buzz Aldrin, says his Blackberry (a Personal Digital Assistant) has 65,000 times the computing power of the moon mission and
the entire floor of computers at Mission Control wasn't as powerful as one of today's laptop computers.

SeniorNet Hutt City also celebrated a birthday - its 10th.

The fabulous 10th Anniversary cake thanks to Raewyn.

SNHC 10th Anniversary: Haven't updated lately as very busy, mainly with SeniorNet as it was the 10th Anniversary and AGM time. Also we had a tutors morning tea and later in the week a briefing.
Here are some pictures of the event where Christine was invited to cut the cake. At the meeting where that was decided I abstained!!






Myself, Christine and Brian our Deputy Chair and the person who suggested at a Probus meeting that a SeniorNet be started in the Hutt.



Christine and the cake.



Making a point at the AGM.

Now moving onto the Rotary Balance Sheet/Audit. and still no progress with the Charitable Trust.
So never a dull moment.