16 July 2009

The chocolate wars


Whittakers Vs Cadbury's: A war (on TV at least) for the chocaholics has started. Cadburys has made its blocks smaller (with a supposed equal drop in price), put them in cardboard, added more palm oil and dropped the cocoa content (to 1% above the minimum) and started making them in Tasmania. Meantime Whittakers carries on its product the same as always - a product I have always preferred.

Whittakers has started a TV campaign pointing out all the above and it will be interesting to see what effect it has on Cadbury's sales. With the short attention span of most people not much I suppose. My favourite is Coconut Rough and for a couple of years Cadburys seemed to stop making it and even now it is hard to find.

Rugby: The Tri Nations opener on Saturday and I lack confidence as usual.

Quiz: Called ourselves The Dish after the Oz film about the moon landing starring NZ's Sam Neill as Armstrong walked upon the moon 40 years ago on the 20 July. Like the Yanks we came first. A couple of the better teams were missing again but we heard later that one of them has disbanded. It seems they have had a falling out due to some internal ructions and a couple of people got upset and stormed off. Its a tough business.

Maori customary rights: A Court case is going on at the moment about the stealing of a dead body. The Maori believe their rights override the law. If they win it means anarchy rules.

Precedence: The Mayor has accepted our invitation to the SeniorNet AGM and in case the local MP's also accepted I have looked up the Order of Precedence.

The top few - Queen, Governor General, PM, Speaker I knew but was surprised how far up the list the Dean of the Diplomats comes - ahead of the Deputy PM - and I would have thought the local Mayor would come above the local MP's but on this I was wrong. However, on thinking it through I suppose MP's are above the Mayor being from the higher section of Government. Nevertheless if they do come I only intend to allow the Mayor to say something. Probably get the Guillotine.

In my letter to the MP's I thanked them for the funding help they give pointing out that as we are a 100% volunteer organisation they get more 'bangs for their buck'. The Government have cut back on the night schools, and I have some sympathy, but their Tutors are getting paid, at well above the minimum wage, while ours (SeniorNet) get nothing.

If the night classes Tutors are so passionate then why don't they work for say the minimum wage. Christine taught Macrame for a couple of years and it was a great lurk.