08 May 2008

Jabs and billionaires


Went into the Travel Doctor today to get our shots for the trip to South America. Yellow Fever seems to be the big one; she said there were some serious outbreaks at the moment so it is compulsory. But on top of that we had to get a couple of others including Rabies and another.
Plus we have to go back for two more boosters over the next couple of weeks.


It seems the Yellow Fever gives the disease to a person in a mild form to make them immune.
It is all far too much for me to understand.

The Kapiti Island trip is on Sunday - weather willing - and because others have pulled out both Sarah & Angela are coming with us. It isn't a good forecast so we can only hope it improves.

Had the usual Quiz Evening on Wednesday and we came 3rd. A surprise as our Bonus Round selection, when a team get double points, we really crashed, getting only 5 when we were averaging nearly 8 points for the other rounds. I think my best moment was when they asked for the third actor in The Good the Bad and the Ugly. My first thought was Warren Oates but as I had the actor pictured in my mind I finally thought of Elli Wallach. Not a well known star but a great character actor. I also came up with Mars other moon apart from Phobos. It took a while but I finally got there.

Went to the SeniorNet Federation AGM on Wednesday morning and met a chap I had not seen for about 50 years ago in the BNZ Auckland.

He mentioned to me the name Owen Glenn, the billionaire who had just given funds to Auckland University and was a donor to the Labour Party. He said did I remember him when we all worked together at the BNZ Auckland. ?? It all came back.
I didn't connect the name with how he looked today - then again 50 years changes us all. When I got home I Googled him and see he spent about 11 years with the BNZ before heading off to make his fortune. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I should have said - Owen why don't we go into business together.

Then again, probably he would have been a billionaire and I would still have been me!!

As for the SeniorNet AGM - was an excellent meeting - the talent of the volunteers who are on the Executive of the Federation is incredible.