24 February 2010

Sport and other randomness

Sport: So much on at the moment - Rugby, Cricket, Olympics, wven Soccer with the Wellington Phoenix doing well - an overload. The Chiefs Lions game 72 -65 to the Chiefs set all sorts of records -
the highest aggregate (137)
highest winning and losing score
most tries
highest individual total (Steven Donald - 32)
most tries by the a Chiefs player (Kahui - 3) and there are probably more.

The Phoenix have been a revelation. Any time we beat the Ozzies is great.
As for the Olympics - I have enjoyed the Curling and of course Luge, Skeleton, Ice Dancing, Speed Skating although some like Ice Hockey (I can't see the puck) leave me cold (pun).

Imperial/Metric: At the Olympics why do commentators persist in using the old Imperial (ponds, feet etc) when we changed over 30 years ago. We still don't speak in Pounds shillings and pence. Is it to placate the 3 idiot countries that haven't changed - US, Liberia and Myanmar?

Defeats me as do the ads on TV saying 'I lost 30 pounds". I always think who could care less if you lost some money in the UK - but the idiots are talking about weight measurements that are 30 years out of date. Why??

Police: When going past the Prime Ministerial house in Lower Hutt the other day I was surprised to see arm
ed Police outside. First time I have ever seen that. Currently the Governor General is using it while Government House is being done up.