30 June 2009

More nuts

A gun nut : Another gun nut has had to be shot by the Police, this time in Christchurch.

But the question I always ask is where did they get the gun, after all this is not the US. It seems this guy was a member of a gun club and had a gun legally but in a Radio NZ interview a neighbour said the Police had visited him before when he was firing at people.

This was later confirmed and the Police said they are still investigating the background to this revelation. But the point I couldn't get was why Radio NZ diddn't pounce on this knowledge straight away - instead they just ignored it and ploughed on with the next (prepared??) question.


Be interesting to hear the outcome.

Rugby and a French nut : As for the French Rugby player who now admits he lied about being beaten up in Wellington. I doubted his story from the start as it seems did the Police. A 20 year old out alone late at night who doesn't speak the language???. This would be contrary to team policy and it now appears he was drunk and was punched by another player. However, it must have been a management cover up as I am sure they would have known the truth.

Keith Quinn the famous rugby commentator spoke to our Rotary Club last night. He was just incredible with a hundred stories, all told brilliantly.

I asked him about my 'bete noire' the Times rugby writer Stephen Jones. His response was that he is good writer and a good bloke but tailors his writing for his audience plus Keith thought he did admire NZ Rugby. Well - in the Lions v Springbok tests in the first Jones blamed our referee for the poor showing of the Lions scrum. If so then how come when Phil Vickery was replaced the Lions scrum was at least on par with the Boks? It was poor selection.

In the second he blamed our Assistant Ref for not standing up to the Referee to get Burger red carded. Sorry - but it is the Ref who makes the decision and at least another Jones, our Vinnie Jones did see the illegal act. But with Stephen Jones we can never win. As for Burger getting Yellow Carded and later getting an 8 week ban - so whats new for him.

Meantime in the series in South Africa - the Lions gave away the 2nd Test and will be lucky to win the 3rd. Luckily for us (maybe) is that the Springboks coach is pretty poor. Then again I don't rate Henry as I think he is over thehill although at least he has Wayne Smith and Stu Cron as the forwards coach who I think are good value.

Just a nut Michael Jackson : Dead at age 50, but a good career move. He has never impressed me - I am too old for his music I guess but I have to admit that he was a fantastic dancer. Still to me he remains Whacko-Jacko.